Communication and Language
Our overall aim for children at Hart Hill Nursery School is that:
All children will use their chosen communication method, to have good quality back and forth interactions, throughout the day.
We know that ...
Language is more than words. As children grow, they begin to be aware of and explore different sounds, symbols and words in their everyday worlds. The number of quality conversations they have with adults and peers throughout the day in a language-rich environment is crucial.
At Hart Hill, we understand that ...
Children’s communication is vital, so that we can understand what they know and how they feel about the world around them. We pride ourselves in developing all communication methods in children, including body language, signing and the use of tools to communicate, such as communication boards or object exchange.
We focus on child’s communication and language skills through:
- Commenting on what children are interested in or doing, and echoing back what they say with new vocabulary added
- Reading frequently to children, and engaging them actively in stories, non-fiction texts, rhymes and poems, and then providing them with extensive opportunities to use and embed new words
- Promoting conversation, story-telling and role play, where children share their ideas with support and modelling from their teacher
- Asking sensitive questions that invites them to elaborate on their vocabulary and experiences
- Encouraging children to continue to talk in their home language at home, understanding that it is just as important as English